Sunday, May 04, 2008

Reverend Jaime and the Mind Bogglers

What a weekend it's been. And what a relief that fun is the norm rather than the exception. Though fun isn't the right word. But Friday was spent examining old Word documents that ranged from 7th grade to my sophomore year here in college, and it was one of the most intense trips into my past that I can remember. A lot of them were journal-like entries. I'd completely forgotten how utterly miserable I was my first year here at Truman, and those memories make me less and less interested in leaving. But my writing also shed some fascinating light on my personal relationships, and I can only laugh dismissively at the person I've grown out of.

Saturday evening began with a giant pot of chicken curry and ended with the Round Barn Blues. I got to dance with three of my professors (Mielke, Daschke, and Seidel- who was wearing a scandalously low-cut shirt) two feet away from the huge speakers, so that by the time we made it outside to the massive bonfire, I couldn't hear out of my right ear and was probably talking a lot louder than necessary. Sunday began with cuddling all morning with the Hon. L. James Miller-Rogers, and culminated in a rather fascinating dinner party that included Jaime D'Agostino and Daschke's wife. So not only was it a weekend of hanging out with professors and older people (I've always identified more with people my parents' age than with my peers), but also of last hurrahs with those people who are graduating and moving on this summer. This marks the third year in a row that most of my friends are graduating and leaving, though this year it's all the people that I took for granted would always be here.

Also, the more I stay, the more I get super bummed that I'll be missing summer in Kirksville this year.

Whilst we were all enjoying the outdoors in front of Jenn's house, some random (homeless?) dude came up and joined our circle. It probably didn't help that we gave him food and booze. He said his name was K-Bone, and added a rather rude gesture to emphasize the latter part of his moniker. Jaime, wearing a tie and jacket as per usual, apparently looked like a minister, which elicited some rather entertaining comments from K-Bone. Later, Jaime said something I can completely sympathize with that I am writing down simply so I don't forget it: "How do you write fiction? It boggles my mind." And this coming from the poetry professor.

It's been such a long time, I'd forgotten the pleasures of being drunk, and the pleasures of associating with drunk friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home