Thursday, April 07, 2005

Rant # 4 - Peer Pressure

This one's going to be short.

When it comes to drugs I don't think peer pressure is really as big an issue as some people make it out to be. I was doing some thinking about things people have said to me in the past, and things I have said to people, and I came to this conclusion: in 9 cases out of 10, your peers aren't trying to pressure you to do something you don't want to do, but rather are merely trying to be polite. My reasoning is this: in society in general, you never really know who, say... smokes weed, and who doesn't. And you can't exactly go around advertising the fact that you do, although I suppose you could advertise the fact you don't. But my point is that you don't know if someone smokes or not, so just to be polite, so it doesn't seem as if you are intentionally leaving someone out or anything, you offer it to the people you aren't sure about (if there are any, which usually isn't the case, actually). Sorry this is so poorly written, but I'm short on time.

So, people aren't trying to pressure you into anything, they're just trying to be polite and include you if you want to be included, because they don't know if you want to be included or not. It's still okay to just say no. But please, if you're in the circle, pass it along whether you smoke it or not. Otherwise don't sit in the damn circle.

(And I'm not saying that peer pressure doesn't exist, cause I know it does, and sometimes it can be bad. I'm just saying that it's not always as dire as it would seem.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home