Second thoughts
I guess what I was trying to say in my last post was this:
There's just something about the complete collapse of society and pure chaos going on that stirs something deep inside me. I just don't know what that something is. And it's rare that you can talk about complete collapse of society and pure chaos without exaggerating. This must be what war is like. We Americans are lucky; we haven't had a war on our soil for 140 years.
Coincidently, war has always held some fascination with me, too. Mostly about what it does to a person to have to experience it. I'm obsessed with books and films about Vietnam in the same way my mother is obsessed with books and films about WWII. Our parents' wars.
Can you even imagine having to live through the hell going on in New Orleans right now? Or the hell that was rat-infested, disease-ridden, mud-swamped trenches? Or the hell of a burning hot jungle riddled with guerrillas out for your head and booby-trapped with mines and all kinds of things?
What does that do to a person? I can't begin to fathom it.
There's just something about the complete collapse of society and pure chaos going on that stirs something deep inside me. I just don't know what that something is. And it's rare that you can talk about complete collapse of society and pure chaos without exaggerating. This must be what war is like. We Americans are lucky; we haven't had a war on our soil for 140 years.
Coincidently, war has always held some fascination with me, too. Mostly about what it does to a person to have to experience it. I'm obsessed with books and films about Vietnam in the same way my mother is obsessed with books and films about WWII. Our parents' wars.
Can you even imagine having to live through the hell going on in New Orleans right now? Or the hell that was rat-infested, disease-ridden, mud-swamped trenches? Or the hell of a burning hot jungle riddled with guerrillas out for your head and booby-trapped with mines and all kinds of things?
What does that do to a person? I can't begin to fathom it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home