Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A long and boring tale

In an effort to ease the excruciating boredom that seems to be so persistent in my life, I will now commence the story of my short visit to The 'Ville.

Friday morning, after having showered, dressed, "packed," cleaned the car and filled it with oil, I set out on my short journey, making a pit-stop on my roundabout way out of town to purchase some gasoline. Having no air conditioner, and the weather being relatively pleasant, I drove with my window down, thus allowing my wet and uncombed hair to further tangle itself in the eager wind. I played the radio as long as the beautiful sounds of this town would last, switching to a CD my brother had left in the car once the intrusive sounds of Country-Western stole their way onto the airwaves. After a half hour recess at the McDonald's in Macon, I pulled into good ol' K-ville around two in the afternoon. Exceedingly proud of myself for remembering my way around town, I made my way towards the Kum n Go, past the house I hope to one day live in, and down two more blocks to the dirty yellow house I'd seen twice before, where a familiar figure was hanging off a porch, arms wrapped around a supporting column and smile wrapped around a warm face.

Stepping inside for the first time, I glanced around at the sagging floors and whitewashed walls and the numerous bottles of alcohol atop the fridge that clinked and clanked together every time you moved. A quick tour of the house revealed a living room with three couches, a familiar and comfortable armchair, a television, and a front door that was always locked and led to another porch; two rooms off the living room which belonged to absent housemates; a kitchen with an equally familiar table and rolling chairs, a fridge, electric stove with one working burner, and sink filled to the top with dirty dishes, across from shelves of dry foods; a laundry room with clothes everywhere; a bathroom complete with shower and peeling floors; stairs steeper than the ones at my house (which I didn't think was possible) leading to an attic space divided in two parts by a series of shower curtains strung on a nylon rope- on one side of the curtain was Natalie's "Space," filled with references to Pepsi and Star Wars; and on the other side was Deb's room, whence came a voice from a napping figure on the bed that mumbled cheerily "Hey [Caniches Morts]!" and promptly went back to sleep.

The next several hours were spent chatting in the living room, catching up on news from C-town and K-ville both. Fans placed in open windows whirred soothingly in the background, filling the role of one of my most favorite things about the summer season. We watched The Fifth Element because there was nothing worthwhile on the one channel they received (Fox). Later in the evening Deb marinated some chicken while Natalie cooked up a box of Mac 'n Cheese, and as soon as Kris ventured downstairs from her nap, we all piled in a car and drove to the house of my friends' fellow rugby player, who was celebrating her 21st birthday with a barbecue potluck. Some delicious chicken and noodles later, I found myself sitting on the couch making small talk with the one or two people I knew. It was a good evening, but we eventually left for "home" when the birthday girl and eligible friends headed off to the bars. After that we went on a quick adventure to Wal-Mart (yes, my first day there and I've already gone to Wal-Mart) where we purchased a box of crayons, a model car, and some model car-assembly apparatusses (apparati?). Did you know that you have to be 18 to purchase glue at Wal-Mart? Model car glue, anyway.

We saw Natalie and Kris off to work at eleven, then settled in for the night. From then on it was a nice, casual evening of coloring Raggedy Anne pictures, sipping on Kris's rum (quite a bit more of it than I had intended), and watching Last of the Mohicans with the sexy Indian man. We both fell asleep long before it was over, around three or four in the morning, myself on a very comfortable couch, and Deborah in her own bed.

And because I promised my brother he could use the computer, the rest will have to wait til tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home