Tuesday, August 30, 2005

General overview of this semester's classes

1. PHRE 185 - Exploring Religions. Okay, so I wasn't actually registered for this class until about an hour ago. Nonetheless, I went first thing on Monday morning because last semester he told me that if I did he could probably get me into the class. Anyway, long story short, he gave me an override and I'm in! Yay! So... this professor looks and sounds almost exactly like Gene Wilder, it's kinda weird. I'm really excited about the class, it looks like lots of fun. There's lots of reading and memorizing and stuff required, but I think I can handle it cause I took Frizzel's class at HHS and have a huge interest in the subject anyway. I'm pretty sure I've got a pretty big headstart on a lot of people in the class. Thing that struck me as odd, but isn't once I thought about it: he goes into everything assuming that everyone in the class has a strong Christian background and is unable to think outside of that. I'm used to my schools having more diversity... then I remembered I'm in Kirksville and half the people here are St. Louis Catholics. First impression: lots of fun, not too hard.

2. FREN 221 - Intermediate II. This is the class I was placed in when I took the foreign language placement test summer before Freshman year. However, seeing as I hadn't taken French since junior year in high school and didn't take it again til second semester, I opted to start one level lower. At least I got the cool prof and tutor that way. My new French prof is Austrian. Nothing against Europeans, but the last European French teacher I had was a major bitch, and although this prof looks nice, she is one of those tiny Barbies with perfect hair and perfect makeup and a perfect sense of style. However, she's Austrian, not Belgian so maybe it will be better... although the stereotypes in my mind put Austrians as being a lot more strict and military than Belgians- almost more Nazi like. Okay, stereotypes are bad. Also, these two kids were in my class who were in the class behind me at HHS. One of them even went to elementary school with me. It kind of upset me, actually. I felt like they were following me or something. Like I had gotten away from them and they were chasing after me. Not that I even know anything of them very well or anything, it was just weird to have a part of high school in a place I thought was... high school innocent, for lack of a better phrase. First impression: more toward the easy end of the spectrum than the hard end I hope, and I think I can handle the prof for a semester.

3. STAT 190 - Basic Statistics. Even though I took this at HHS I fucked up the AP test and didn't get credit for it. Now I have to take it again. Damn it all. The instructor is some fairly young dude who's teaching at TSU for the first time this semester. Before that he was in Northern Illinois somewhere. He doesn't collect homework, which will screw me over because then I won't do it and if I don't do it I won't understand it. However, I think it won't be too bad cause I've already had this class. Although I did fuck up the AP test. But I got an A in the class. So we'll see what happens. First impression: it will be a drag going to class, but I'm confident in my ability to pass it, even if just barely.

4. PHYS 100 - Intro to Physics. Another required class. It was either physics or chemistry (to fulfil the physical science Mode of Inquiry), and since I'd already had chemistry at HHS I thought I'd go with physics. I've never had it before and it would probably be a good idea to have a basic understanding. Plus, Dad makes it sound interesting. The bad news is that it's at 9 in the morning in Barnett (for those non-TSUers, that's the very furthest away building, across a big busy road and a good ten or fifteen minutes from the rest of campus.) The prof seems a little boring, as does the class. But I do think I'll enjoy what we're learning. First impression: class will again be a bummer, but I genuinely think (hope) I'll get a lot out of it.

5. ENG 308 - Mythology. I have this class with Deb! Yay for class with people you know! It turns out the subwhatever is "epic sea voyages" so we're reading the Odyssey, the Aeneid, the Argonautika (I hope we get to watch that awesome movie with the claymation skeletons and gods), and Moby Dick. When I signed up for this class I thought it was going to be a general overview of the world's myths, but apparently all we get are Greek and Christian ones... and the most boring ones at that. Well, not really, but ones we've all read or were supposed to have read or have avoided reading or whatever. The prof and his class both seem a little dry, but oh well. I guess this is my opportunity to actually read these books. There's an old person in our class as well. And by "old" I mean "probably about 4 or 5 years younger than my mom." This guy keeps giving examples and comparisons to Christian mythology, so I have a feeling that he assumes we all have a thorough understanding of that. I've got a basic knowledge, enough to understand everything he was talking about today, but I figure it's good Deb's in this class too. It's kind of annoying that everyone here just assumes everyone else has a Christian background. First impression: boring class and neutral class, but should still be somewhat entertaining.

6. HIST 105 - US History from 1877 to the present. My parents had a fit that I was taking this class cause I've got AP credit for all my history so I don't need it, but at the time it was the only thing that would fit my schedule. Now that I am for sure registered for the Philosophy course, I dropped this one, as per my plan. I mean, I've got 16 hours this semester. But I went today anyway just to see. This class was in Barnett, too, and I had it right after English, which means I was late, because there's only ten minutes between classes. The prof reminds me of the German teacher at HHS... whatever his name was. But he sort of looks like a gnome too. His nose is big and crooked and kind of draws up his mouth into a permanent sneer, and he's got a big, bushy, brown and white beard. His outfit looked like he was about to go on safari in Africa, minus the cool pith hat. I'm really glad that I don't have to take this class cause not only did it look like a lot of work, but it looked really boring, too. I felt bad for coming, though, cause he handed out these three huge packets, and then I was just wasting it by taking it and not really using it. Oh well. I'll recycle them. First impression: thank Goddess (or God or the Buddha or the Tao [as my philosophy prof says]) I don't have to take this class; it reminds me of the History of Magic class at Hogwarts. Which is funny cause at the beginning of class he welcomed all the freshmen to Hogwarts and then explained he just finished reading HP #6. Speaking of which, I think Snape is actually good and it will be proved in the last book, and I just wanna call it now. Of course, I also thought that Sirius Black would come back in this book cause he's not really dead, but that didn't happen. Maybe it will be like in Star Wars... you know at the end where Luke is standing around and all of a sudden the "ghosts" (for lack of a better word) of Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda and all those guys appear... see, Harry's gonna run into the ghosts of Sirius and Dumbledore and all those guys. Or maybe not.

So... those are my classes this semester. I'm tired of typing now cause that was a lot of it. I would like to say, though, that although it is nowhere near as hot this year as it was last year (or so it seems) I have yet to sleep between my sheets. Because it's too hot, not because I'm in other people's beds or anything... unfortunately.

Right... getting off the internet now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home