Monday, Monday
I actually went to bed by 1 o'clock last night. I'm so proud of myself! And today was chicken sandwhich day, which means that Natalie joins us for lunch (she loves the Sodexho chicken sandwhiches... why? I don't know.) And when Natalie joins us for lunch that usually includes Cyndie and Kris as well, so it was a veritable party. I even got invited to participate in weekend festivities, so that was exciting I suppose.
I had an Anthro test today; not only was it the first test in that class, which always sucks because you don't know what to study, but it was my first test of the semester. I don't think I did so hot. It was 140 t/f questions and an essay, all to be done in 50 minutes. He told us to study the four subdisciplines of Anthropology for the essay, but on the test there was no prompt or anything, it just said "write your essay on the back of this test." I thought that was retarded, because no one really knew what he was looking for and people kept getting up to ask. How can he not at least give us a prompt?
So today I was just chillin' in my room, after having finished my French labo which was really pointless. All of a sudden the fucking fire alarm goes off. It's less than 23 degrees outside, which actually isn't as cold as it has been earlier this winter, but sucks nonetheless because it's been raining and snowing all day, so it's really wet outside as well as cold. I took my sweet time getting my coat and gloves and went outside with everyone else. About five minutes later my legs were blocks of ice, so I walked over to a nearby dorm where almost all my friends live and had a grand ol' time chattin' it up with them while hoping that my dorm wasn't burning as we spoke. Which of course it wasn't. Stupid fire-alarm-puller. At least it wasn't 3 in the morning.
I just got an email from one of my friends from forever ago whom I haven't seen in... forever. I didn't even know her family had the internet. They have one email address for the whole family. I wonder how she got my email address? That's random. Makes me glad my email isn't something stupid like iluvvanal. That would be embarrassing. It is kind of awkward anyway. Each of us have initials that refer to nouns other than our names, so we used to write each other letters and addressed them to those other nouns. I'd tell you what they were, but I don't want to give away my name. Actually, hers was Long Patrol... from the Redwall series. Cause we were cool middle schoolers that read all the Brian Jacques books. I can tell you that because those aren't her initials anymore. So, that was a pointless story. But I thought it was so random that I haven't talked to her in so many years and here I get an email out of the blue. It was one of those things where if I had seen her in person I would have been like, "omigod! Omigod! I can't believe it's you! Omigod!" over and over again like a big ditz.
Continuing the random tangent... so my friend has four little sisters. I remember when the first one was born, how she was jealous because her new little sister got all the attention. I specifically remember talking about that with her in the hallway of their old house. We were probably about six. I remember when her second sister was born. It was several months after her father died (now that I'm old enough to understand these things, I'm beginning to wonder if it was suicide.) I remember many years later when her mom remarried and had another girl. And most recently there was child number five, named Liberty because she was born just after 9/11. They call her Libby for short. Now her mom, who is 47, I believe, is pregnant with kid number six. And supposedly it's a boy! She always did love children, and I'm sure she's going to love having six of them, but sometimes that seems like too much to me. I don't think they use birth control. But I'm sure her husband will be thrilled to have a boy. I know he's a great father and loves all his daughters, even the ones that aren't his, but a boy is always nice for a dad to have. They are going to name him Joshua.
I still can't believe I got an email from her. It still blows my mind. I want to write her a letter back and send it by snail mail so that she'll write me one back... it's always nice to have something in the mailbox. Today I got a letter from one of my mom's friends, who sent me $10 for some things she got out of a box I had set aside for my mom to sell at a garage sale. So that was awesome! She always sends postcards instead of writing things on pieces of notebook paper, and she seriously has the coolest collection of postcards ever. Besides my "godmother" she's my favorite of my mom's friends.
Goin' home this weekend! I'm excited. I really need to do laundry, too. Whenever I go home I don't do laundry for two or three weeks so I can do it at home for free. But that means haulling a shitton of dirty clothes in a friend's car, which I always feel bad about. Oh well, they will be clean upon the return home.
Sorry, but once I start typing out what I am thinking, I can't stop, and my entries just get bigger and bigger and bigger until they are a drag to read. So I'll try to cut it off here. Except there was one thing I was going to say about when I read the email from my friend. I was listening to Barber's Adagio for Strings while I was reading it. One of the saddest and prettiest things ever written. We played it as our ballad for marching band one year. We were at Ozarko (everyone's favorite competition) and it was raining (as it does every year without fail) while we were practicing before we performed. So we went into this parking garage to keep our instruments dry, and played it in there. It was so fucking gorgeous the way it echoed and everyone was so into it. People were seriously crying by the horns down. Just had to add that in. Go download it illegally from the internet or something, because it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written! That's Samuel Barber, Adagio for Strings. Hop to it now!
I had an Anthro test today; not only was it the first test in that class, which always sucks because you don't know what to study, but it was my first test of the semester. I don't think I did so hot. It was 140 t/f questions and an essay, all to be done in 50 minutes. He told us to study the four subdisciplines of Anthropology for the essay, but on the test there was no prompt or anything, it just said "write your essay on the back of this test." I thought that was retarded, because no one really knew what he was looking for and people kept getting up to ask. How can he not at least give us a prompt?
So today I was just chillin' in my room, after having finished my French labo which was really pointless. All of a sudden the fucking fire alarm goes off. It's less than 23 degrees outside, which actually isn't as cold as it has been earlier this winter, but sucks nonetheless because it's been raining and snowing all day, so it's really wet outside as well as cold. I took my sweet time getting my coat and gloves and went outside with everyone else. About five minutes later my legs were blocks of ice, so I walked over to a nearby dorm where almost all my friends live and had a grand ol' time chattin' it up with them while hoping that my dorm wasn't burning as we spoke. Which of course it wasn't. Stupid fire-alarm-puller. At least it wasn't 3 in the morning.
I just got an email from one of my friends from forever ago whom I haven't seen in... forever. I didn't even know her family had the internet. They have one email address for the whole family. I wonder how she got my email address? That's random. Makes me glad my email isn't something stupid like iluvvanal. That would be embarrassing. It is kind of awkward anyway. Each of us have initials that refer to nouns other than our names, so we used to write each other letters and addressed them to those other nouns. I'd tell you what they were, but I don't want to give away my name. Actually, hers was Long Patrol... from the Redwall series. Cause we were cool middle schoolers that read all the Brian Jacques books. I can tell you that because those aren't her initials anymore. So, that was a pointless story. But I thought it was so random that I haven't talked to her in so many years and here I get an email out of the blue. It was one of those things where if I had seen her in person I would have been like, "omigod! Omigod! I can't believe it's you! Omigod!" over and over again like a big ditz.
Continuing the random tangent... so my friend has four little sisters. I remember when the first one was born, how she was jealous because her new little sister got all the attention. I specifically remember talking about that with her in the hallway of their old house. We were probably about six. I remember when her second sister was born. It was several months after her father died (now that I'm old enough to understand these things, I'm beginning to wonder if it was suicide.) I remember many years later when her mom remarried and had another girl. And most recently there was child number five, named Liberty because she was born just after 9/11. They call her Libby for short. Now her mom, who is 47, I believe, is pregnant with kid number six. And supposedly it's a boy! She always did love children, and I'm sure she's going to love having six of them, but sometimes that seems like too much to me. I don't think they use birth control. But I'm sure her husband will be thrilled to have a boy. I know he's a great father and loves all his daughters, even the ones that aren't his, but a boy is always nice for a dad to have. They are going to name him Joshua.
I still can't believe I got an email from her. It still blows my mind. I want to write her a letter back and send it by snail mail so that she'll write me one back... it's always nice to have something in the mailbox. Today I got a letter from one of my mom's friends, who sent me $10 for some things she got out of a box I had set aside for my mom to sell at a garage sale. So that was awesome! She always sends postcards instead of writing things on pieces of notebook paper, and she seriously has the coolest collection of postcards ever. Besides my "godmother" she's my favorite of my mom's friends.
Goin' home this weekend! I'm excited. I really need to do laundry, too. Whenever I go home I don't do laundry for two or three weeks so I can do it at home for free. But that means haulling a shitton of dirty clothes in a friend's car, which I always feel bad about. Oh well, they will be clean upon the return home.
Sorry, but once I start typing out what I am thinking, I can't stop, and my entries just get bigger and bigger and bigger until they are a drag to read. So I'll try to cut it off here. Except there was one thing I was going to say about when I read the email from my friend. I was listening to Barber's Adagio for Strings while I was reading it. One of the saddest and prettiest things ever written. We played it as our ballad for marching band one year. We were at Ozarko (everyone's favorite competition) and it was raining (as it does every year without fail) while we were practicing before we performed. So we went into this parking garage to keep our instruments dry, and played it in there. It was so fucking gorgeous the way it echoed and everyone was so into it. People were seriously crying by the horns down. Just had to add that in. Go download it illegally from the internet or something, because it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written! That's Samuel Barber, Adagio for Strings. Hop to it now!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home