Thursday, February 10, 2005

So close

... to the weekend, that is. It better not snow tomorrow, cause I'd be pissed off if my ride decides to not go home because of the weather. Although I don't think that will be a problem.

Two things on my mind today:

1. There was a "minor tremble" down at the New Madrid fault today that I believe registered as a 4.2 on that scale that I can't spell. I don't really think it will be an issue, but it just got me thinking about how much it would really suck if there was another full-blown earthquake down there, seeing how close it is and all. I mean, supposedly the last one made the Mississippi River (or was it the Missouri?) run backwards for a few minutes, and rang church bells all the way in Philadelphia. Something like that could completely obliterate my house, even though we're probably a good five hours away from the fault. There's no doubt I'd feel it even all the way up here at the university. On the other hand, there's a cool local blues band called The New Madrid Fault. The lead singer dude used to be married to one of my parents' friends, who also belongs to a prominent local musical family. They had a kid who's a bit older than me (5 or 6 years? I have no idea), who I used to think was pretty cool cause he'd actually pay attention to me when the other boys (one of whom is now uber hot, and the other I haven't seen in a long time, but must be hot too because he's a semi-city-hick who plays football, and while I don't like hicks or football players, there's something sexy about hick-football players) still thought girls had cooties. But now he's even cooler, because he plays the guitar. And guys who play the guitar are sexy.

2. This was the beginning of a letter to the editor in the local paper (and when I say local I mean in my hometown; I don't think I've ever seen the local paper up here... I don't even know if there is one): "February 2nd was Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address. As Air America Radio pointed out, it is an ironic juxtaposition: One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication - and the other involves a groundhog." I thought it was funny anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home