525,600 minutes
I decided I want to see Rent when it comes out as a movie just because that awesome (and quite attractive) guy from Law & Order is in it. Other than that I have no interest in it whatsoever. It was quite the popular show back in high school, all the annoying theater kids I hated were way into it. So when it came to Jesse I went to see it with my family. I didn't like it; it didn't live up to its high expectations. I know this sounds backwards, but it was too idealistic. But who knows, maybe I'll appreciate it more the second time I see it.
I also really want to see the new The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie they just made. I haven't read those books in seriously about 10 years, but I enjoyed them back in the day, and I must say that was one of the better ones. Harry Potter apparently comes out this weekend, as well, so I'm looking forward to that, if I can find enough money to go see it.
Random reason why my brother is an idiot (as if there weren't enough): when asked what country he would like to visit the most, he said "Amsterdam."
I was actually going to write this post to complain about all the Catholics here. When a professor compares anything in class to Christianity (and he invariably will), it always comes down to defining Christian beliefs. And Christian beliefs always end up being defined by Roman Catholic canon. Which is often so drastically different from the generic protestant beliefs I was acclimated to growing up that they might as well not be part of the same religion. Deb was complaining about that too; how people would say "well, Christians believe this.... " and it was absolutely not even close to what she believed or what I thought most Christians were supposed to believe. At school at home Catholics were most certainly a small minority and were hardly visible in the grand scheme of things. Here they are undoubtedly the majority and define all Christian beliefs in class, as well as force the professors to assume everyone comes from that point of view and thus make them spend hours trying to break their class of the habit of looking at the world through a Christian lense, something I get bored with easily.
Silly Catholics with their silly ideas.
I also really want to see the new The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie they just made. I haven't read those books in seriously about 10 years, but I enjoyed them back in the day, and I must say that was one of the better ones. Harry Potter apparently comes out this weekend, as well, so I'm looking forward to that, if I can find enough money to go see it.
Random reason why my brother is an idiot (as if there weren't enough): when asked what country he would like to visit the most, he said "Amsterdam."
I was actually going to write this post to complain about all the Catholics here. When a professor compares anything in class to Christianity (and he invariably will), it always comes down to defining Christian beliefs. And Christian beliefs always end up being defined by Roman Catholic canon. Which is often so drastically different from the generic protestant beliefs I was acclimated to growing up that they might as well not be part of the same religion. Deb was complaining about that too; how people would say "well, Christians believe this.... " and it was absolutely not even close to what she believed or what I thought most Christians were supposed to believe. At school at home Catholics were most certainly a small minority and were hardly visible in the grand scheme of things. Here they are undoubtedly the majority and define all Christian beliefs in class, as well as force the professors to assume everyone comes from that point of view and thus make them spend hours trying to break their class of the habit of looking at the world through a Christian lense, something I get bored with easily.
Silly Catholics with their silly ideas.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home