Home for the holidays
Man, it sucks not being connected to the super fast university internet anymore, or even having a nice clean computer. This keyboard is so gross, and I'm not used to it, so it's somewhat hard to type. But it makes lots of noise when you hit the buttons, and that's really fun. I've got one of those silent keyboards at school. It's just not as exciting when you can't hear yourself type. But I guess for now it's back to the ol' family computer. Fun times.
In the first three days since I've been home, I've seen the three people here I missed the most. One on each day, it was perfect. Friday night I went out with Joel, and we got to hang out with the pretty gay people. It was very intimidating. Gay boys are intimidating enough, but when it's the beautiful gays... wow, I just feel so inferior. But the fact that Joel actually introduced me to his "other friends" (you know how it goes, everyone's got at least two groups of friends they hang out with, and if you're smart, you don't mix them on a regular basis) made me feel loved. How sad is that? I totally saw this guy who I sat next to in art during my sophomore year of high school. He always seemed really metro-sexual to me, but I never guessed he was gay. But he remembered me, so that was cool too. It's always nice to know that people remember you. And I can say the stereotype about gay people doing all kinds of fucked up drugs is definitely true... well, at least in this case. (Shhh... it never happened!)
So today I went to the Famous Barr to get a tea kettle for my mom for Christmas. Don't know why we went there instead of a kitchen store or something, but whatever. So I go straight to the kettles, pick out a nice chrome-y one for my mom, and then we proceed to wander around the store for another hour and a half. You know the drill, sitting in those massager chairs, laying on all the beds with silk sheets, trying out every kind of perfume there is... and the whole time I'm just carrying around this box with a tea kettle in it. So, finally we decide to leave, and we walk out the doors, and I get all the way to my car before I realize that I never paid for the tea kettle. It wasn't like I was trying to steal it or anything, I'd just forgotten that I still had to buy it, since I'd been carrying it around for more than an hour. But the funny thing was that no alarms went off, no one was chasing me out in the parking lot. I just walked out with this giant box under my arm and no one noticed. So now I was stuck with this giant moral dilemma. Do I go back in and pay for it, or just drive off? There were two things that scared me: either a SWAT team was going to show up at my door the next morning and drag me off to jail once they noticed the kettle was missing, or I was going to try to go back inside to pay for it, and the alarms were going to go off, and I was going to have to explain why I had walked out with it in the first place. Which one was worse? Probably the going back in. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to keep the money and spend it on something else? But no, my parents had raised me better than that! And then again, it's not like I've never done the cliche thing of keeping the extra money when the cashier changes you wrong... was this all that different? In the end I did the "right thing" and went back in and paid for it. No alarms went off or anything, but when I told the lady I didn't need a bag (she was having trouble fitting in one), she said she'd give me one anyway because if I just walked out with it in no bag, they'd think I stole it. Hahahaha. That's a joke. But the problem with doing the right thing is that you often regret it later... or I do anyway. I'm still regretting going back in and paying for it. That's a whole almost $15 I could have saved right there! And I could have told people I'd shoplifted a tea kettle once. That would definitely boost my gangsta image, even if it was unintentional. But come on, who shoplifts a tea kettle?
And now for something completely different: I drank a chai today at about six thirty and now I'm still awake, more than six hours later. That's what a caffeine-lightweight I am.
For all the one reader that reads my blog, I'd just like you to know now that I'm home for a month, I probably won't be keeping this up as frequently as I did at school. I've got absolutely nothing to do here, so there's nothing to procrastinate from doing by blogging. Sorry to disappoint you. (Hahahaha, I crack myself up... no one's disappointed.) Now it's time for me to go lay in bed and stare at the ceiling... waiting for that sleepy feeling. Great song. But there's lots of Christmas shopping to be done tomorrow, so I must away. Ciao!
In the first three days since I've been home, I've seen the three people here I missed the most. One on each day, it was perfect. Friday night I went out with Joel, and we got to hang out with the pretty gay people. It was very intimidating. Gay boys are intimidating enough, but when it's the beautiful gays... wow, I just feel so inferior. But the fact that Joel actually introduced me to his "other friends" (you know how it goes, everyone's got at least two groups of friends they hang out with, and if you're smart, you don't mix them on a regular basis) made me feel loved. How sad is that? I totally saw this guy who I sat next to in art during my sophomore year of high school. He always seemed really metro-sexual to me, but I never guessed he was gay. But he remembered me, so that was cool too. It's always nice to know that people remember you. And I can say the stereotype about gay people doing all kinds of fucked up drugs is definitely true... well, at least in this case. (Shhh... it never happened!)
So today I went to the Famous Barr to get a tea kettle for my mom for Christmas. Don't know why we went there instead of a kitchen store or something, but whatever. So I go straight to the kettles, pick out a nice chrome-y one for my mom, and then we proceed to wander around the store for another hour and a half. You know the drill, sitting in those massager chairs, laying on all the beds with silk sheets, trying out every kind of perfume there is... and the whole time I'm just carrying around this box with a tea kettle in it. So, finally we decide to leave, and we walk out the doors, and I get all the way to my car before I realize that I never paid for the tea kettle. It wasn't like I was trying to steal it or anything, I'd just forgotten that I still had to buy it, since I'd been carrying it around for more than an hour. But the funny thing was that no alarms went off, no one was chasing me out in the parking lot. I just walked out with this giant box under my arm and no one noticed. So now I was stuck with this giant moral dilemma. Do I go back in and pay for it, or just drive off? There were two things that scared me: either a SWAT team was going to show up at my door the next morning and drag me off to jail once they noticed the kettle was missing, or I was going to try to go back inside to pay for it, and the alarms were going to go off, and I was going to have to explain why I had walked out with it in the first place. Which one was worse? Probably the going back in. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to keep the money and spend it on something else? But no, my parents had raised me better than that! And then again, it's not like I've never done the cliche thing of keeping the extra money when the cashier changes you wrong... was this all that different? In the end I did the "right thing" and went back in and paid for it. No alarms went off or anything, but when I told the lady I didn't need a bag (she was having trouble fitting in one), she said she'd give me one anyway because if I just walked out with it in no bag, they'd think I stole it. Hahahaha. That's a joke. But the problem with doing the right thing is that you often regret it later... or I do anyway. I'm still regretting going back in and paying for it. That's a whole almost $15 I could have saved right there! And I could have told people I'd shoplifted a tea kettle once. That would definitely boost my gangsta image, even if it was unintentional. But come on, who shoplifts a tea kettle?
And now for something completely different: I drank a chai today at about six thirty and now I'm still awake, more than six hours later. That's what a caffeine-lightweight I am.
For all the one reader that reads my blog, I'd just like you to know now that I'm home for a month, I probably won't be keeping this up as frequently as I did at school. I've got absolutely nothing to do here, so there's nothing to procrastinate from doing by blogging. Sorry to disappoint you. (Hahahaha, I crack myself up... no one's disappointed.) Now it's time for me to go lay in bed and stare at the ceiling... waiting for that sleepy feeling. Great song. But there's lots of Christmas shopping to be done tomorrow, so I must away. Ciao!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home