Saturday, December 04, 2004

Does this make me a bad person?

First of all, I'd like to say that you can definitely tell it's a weekend and I am being plagued by excessive amounts of boredom, simply by taking into consideration the unusually high frequency of posts lately. Second of all, I'd like to know if I'm a bad person for my response to the following situation:

It's a beautiful spring day here, very little ice on the ground, still a bit wet, but sunny and crisp and fresh outside. After having finished two books on my humongous stack, I grab the next one down, along with my jacket, and leave my room to find a nice place outside to read. After stopping at the C-store for some hot chocolate, I take the most roundabout way I can manage to the quad, trying to avoid large groups of people. Alas, though the sun looks warm and the grass lush, the ground is soggy and mud seeps onto my toes over the thin sole of my flip-flops. I try the arch in front of the Kirk Memorial. No luck there, either; there is a thin and melting layer of ice all the way around the little wall that protects that weird little flame thing. So instead I sit on top of the stairs leading into the Kirk Memorial and read a couple pages while I wait for my hot chocolate to cool to the point that allows consumption. Too soon, though, my ass freezes in the dampness, and I move to the far end of the garden behind the Memorial, where there are miniature half-pagoda type things of chipping white paint and wood, all surrounded by a rectangle of bushes and now-dead gardens. The thing I love about this place is its seeming seclusion from the rest of campus and the almost-life-size Greek statue of no woman in particular. Or perhaps she is a goddess masquerading as Anonymous. But I sat there and read until my hot chocolate was gone and the sun set behind the trees and masses of construction equipment. There were a few moments when it sat right on top of the construction-horizon and stared at me before it disappeared, in a matter of seconds, under the body of the crane. My ass froze again, though, so I got up to leave and was walking back to my room when I was accosted by a young man walking next to me, by the name of Will. Out of nowhere he just said hi and introduced himself. I thought it was a bit unusual, but was glad that some people were just outgoing and friendly like that. I might even make a new friend, I thought, you never know. We made small talk about our majors and hometowns and why international students chose this university over all the thousands of others in the world. As we approached my dorm, I began slowing down, til I stopped in front of the door. We wrapped up our conversation, and Will asked what I did on Thursday nights. Oh, he's with some organization, I thought, it might be a good thing for me to join some club. Well, he said, Campus Crusaders meets in the Little Theater in Baldwin at 8 on Thursdays. Damn, I thought, I wasn't expecting that one, but it was so obvious. I politely listened and said I'd consider coming (just trying to leave, by now), and as I walked in the door all I could think was: Fucker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home