Saturday, January 08, 2005

List to me

Why my dad rocks:

  • last night he was drinking Bloody Mary mix straight out of the bottle- no vodka, just mix
  • all 133 of his science fiction books have just been alphabetized by author and title, all by yours truly; and that's only the ones in the study, which isn't counting the ones upstairs and in the living room
  • also, an entire shelf of books by Idries Shah and other books about Sufis were also alphabetized by yours truly
  • when I am up late at night and watching TV, and I get lonely, I know that by simply flipping to the Twilight Zone and turning the volume up, I can lure him into the living room to watch TV with me
  • even though I am no longer five years old, he still knows everything
  • (almost everything, that is- you can tell when he doesn't know something because he won't admit it; however, this is extremely rare)
  • as bedtime stories, he told me tales about Greek mathematicians and explained the basic rules of quantum physics, like about Schrodinger's cat, the wave/particle duality quality of light, and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle; while it hasn't made me any smarter, at least I can remember it all and think I'm cool
  • the other night my brother and I at last admitted out loud that I am obviously Dad's favorite, and he is obviously Mom's favorite
  • it felt good to get that out of the way

Why my Mom embarrasses me/annoys me/frustrates me, etc:

  • she intentionally acts stupid all the time
  • she refuses to pronounce words correctly and gets offended when you get frustrated about it
  • she's a sloppy drunk
  • she is becoming just like her mom, just as I am becoming just like her (Lord, save me!)
  • she's not afraid to make scenes in public, especially when her children are with her
  • she's really loud- especially on the phone and when she's drunk
  • when arguing, she's the most illogical person I know... perhaps besides me
  • she never realizes when she is making her friends (or people in general) uncomfortable and just assumes that everything she does is okay... yeah, she's one of those people

People who are geniuses (in no particular order):

  • my dad
  • Gene Wilder
  • Mark Twain
  • any writers of pulp sci-fi
  • Rod Sterling
  • Bishop Aubert of Avranches
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Kublai Kahn and Ghengis Kahn, just for having awesome names
  • Rumi
  • Maxwell Parish
  • lots of other people I can't think of right now

Other things that rock:

  • those jelly jars that turn into drinking glasses
  • hot Levantine boys men
  • altoids
  • carpet
  • tequilla
  • crossword puzzles
  • my horrible puns (see title for example)

Things that suck:

  • buying books
  • having to choose between going to a work weekend and an OMA party
  • dirty, messy, gross bathrooms - and having no conditioner or clean towels
  • internet that is slow
  • dog farts
  • when it is below freezing outside, but there is no snow
  • when there is snow outside, but it is sunny and cheerful
  • annoying little brothers (or siblings in general)
  • the fact that there are more things that suck than that rock

Days until:

  • I go back to school: hopefully 8
  • classes start: 10
  • my birthday: 105
  • I finish this post: 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home