Thursday, April 27, 2006

Reason #74 why I'm a selfish bitch

First of all, I was looking at the pictures on Karina's tagebuch and babelfish-ing the captions, and I thought it was really funny that under the picture of our "Neighbours for Peace" sign she said, roughly, "Thus, how you see, I live in a shrub-hostile, peaceful neighbourhood!" That made me laugh. I think it's cool, though, how almost our whole street has those signs. A show of solidarity, man!

Okay, so I wanted to rant about this earlier, and I've kind of lost steam on it now (and time because I have to go to class in 15 minutes), but... I am going to complain about my birthday. It was a good weekend, and a good day, don't get me wrong. I just somehow felt gypped. And that makes me a horrible selfish bitch.

First of all, my mom calls me several weeks ago to tell me that she hopes I don't mind, but she bought tickets to a baseball game on my birthday and now I have to go. Okay, a baseball game sounds fun, it's been a while since I've been to one, and it's not like I had any plans for my birthday anyway. But what if I had had plans? What if I was going to make plans? Oh well. So Sunday morning rolls around, and I wake up on the same pull-out couch I've slept on at my grandparents' for the past 20 years now. Except this time I'm sharing it with Karina and not Ben. So Karina tells me happy birthday and we talk about how old 20 is, then I go downstairs to wish my grandpa a happy birthday as well, since we share a birthday. Dad's down there and goes "oh yeah, happy birthday." Oh yeah? Karina helps Grandma make breakfast and we all eat, then I get to open presents. I get a pretty card from Karina accompanied by some really pretty blue earrings, which was my favorite present. Ben gave me a pretty card too (they both smelled like the Peacenook) and a dinosaur eating a Jesus fish. What the hell am I supposed to do with that? But I appreciate the thought, I guess. Mom and dad gave me a pretty card and a promise to get me contacts, with two pieces of licorice and a packet of zinnia seeds to tie me over in the meantime or something. Now, I'm excited about the contacts thing and I really want them, but they've been promising that for about 5 months now and nothing's happened yet. So who knows when I'll get them.

The baseball game was fun, and we actually won! I had just assumed the whole time, though, that afterwards we would go out to dinner, because on birthdays your parents take you out to your choice of restaurant- that's just the way it goes. However, those were apparently not everyone else's plan. We were going to just get on the highway and head home as soon as the game was over. Luckily, though, Mom had left the cellphone at Grandma and Grandpa's, which meant we had to head back into town anyway, so I suggested that we stop by the plaza on the way back out again. I had to fucking suggest it! But they agreed, and we went. I was hoping to get to walk around and maybe at least window shop, but we just parked and looked around at the two nearest restaurants, which happened to be P.F. Changs and the Cheesecake Factory. Karina and I vetoed Chinese so we went to the latter simply out of convenience. Dinner was good. As we were leaving I decided I was too tired to drive all the way back to Kville, so I was going to go to Columbia and just drive to school in the morning. I really wanted someone to drive me to Columbia though because what was the point of driving 2 hours when you felt too tired to drive 3? However, Mom refused to let me have Dad drive because she wanted him to drive her, and of course she won. So I had to drive to Columbia in a fucking scary rainstorm in which I was driving 45-50 mph on fucking I-70 for like an hour. And Ben wouldn't clean out his fucking car that night so when I drove it to school in the morning it was fucking dirty, and I didn't want the damn car anyway because I wasn't coming home again until the end of school anyway, and that was only to get my remaining belongings to bring them to Kirksville.

Man, writing that made me angry. But I didn't have a horrible day. I guess I just felt like if I was going to hang out with my family on my birthday I wanted to actually get to be with them and not have it all planned out like the only reason we were together was because of a damn baseball game. And I know I'm a selfish bitch for being upset that my birthday wasn't perfect, but I guess I just felt like no one really cared it was my birthday. Deb even called me that night to tell me that I needed to pay Mic her share of the deposit and half of her share of May's rent in the next week or so, and never told me happy birthday. She still never has. And I don't know why it matters so much.

And now I'm going to be late for class because instead of getting dressed I've been getting myself all upset again.

Bah humbug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home