Tuesday, January 18, 2005

First Impressions: Part 2a

Before I begin I'd like to take a moment to complain about how I never get any comments. If you're reading this now, do me a favor and leave me a comment. It will make me feel less like a loser. It doesn't have to be long or even make sense. It will just boost my ego, that's all.

Anyway, today saw the beginning of classes after a beautiful month-long break. I started the day with a 1:30 Intro to Poli Sci class. I was late, of course- the last person to walk in the room, in the middle of some guy introducing our professor. Interestingly enough, he is a professor at the big university in my hometown*, and commutes up here every Tuesday and Thursday to teach our class. It's a long commute just for that, and I'm not sure why he does. They probably were explaining that while I was walking in circles looking for the classroom. But he seems nice enough. He sort of has that big-school attitude, but I have a feeling I will like this class. Except for the participation part. I'm really shy, especially in front of large groups of people I don't know. Even grades usually won't convince me to participate, unless it's the entire course grade, or something. So the only way he'll get me to talk is if he calls on me and makes me. But oh well. It should be fun nonetheless.

My second class for the day was Art in Europe and America from the Renaissance to the Present Day. Huge fucking title for an art history class. Fortunately, I was on time for this one. I knew two people in this class from my WACT class last semester. The prof's name is Woodcox, which I think is really funny, cause I'm immature. His face looks just like Mr. Bean's. You know, like that British guy. But he's kind of tall and lanky, and wore a nice shirt and tie, and nice pants and shoes. None of my other male professors have ever worn ties, I don't think. They all just wear nice shirts or sweaters. Anyway, he reminded me of my high school chemistry teacher. He has a hardly noticeable accent that is a cross between British and Gay. For an art teacher, he's really straight-laced. He called roll like so: "Mizz Johnson? Mister Smith?" He makes weird sound effects and is just slightly more loose and eccentric than he looks. This should be an interesting class, but I think it will be a lot of work. On Thursday he is putting us in assigned seats according to our names. I feel like I'm 8. But an interesting professor for an interesting class, no doubt.

Tomorrow I have three new classes, one of which is the English class I'm so excited about. I really hope it meets my expectations. I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't. But so far (and all I know about it right now is the booklist) it is. So we're good.

Anyway, since no one really cares about my classes anyway, I will end this post here. I hope everyone had a good return to school (especially those of you who had to go back one or two weeks ago [hahaha!]). Right. So good luck with the new semester!

*For some reason I have decided to stop referring to my hometown, its university, my university, or its hometown by name. I used to be much more careful about people finding out who I was and where I was, back in the day when I maintained another online diary. I don't know why I haven't been as private about my identity now, but it's time I start. Not that there's anyone who reads this who is interested in finding out who I am (who doesn't already know). And not that they couldn't merely look at some of my old posts and figure it out. But I'm going to make it more difficult from now on. This footnote is way too long, by the way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Hi. I read your blog. Religiously!

12:35 PM, January 20, 2005  
Blogger Aubrey said...

I don't read your column daily, but I do check in from time to time to see how you are doing - seeing that we have a history together....No more whining allowed. You are not a loser. You are an intelligent young woman with a lot to offer someone...so cut it out. I don't leave a lot of comments here, mostly because old dudes like myself can't relate a lot to the college "thing"...as it's been too many years since we've been there. Keep on writing, and if you want an ego boost, just put up a picture of Rosanne Barr in your flat somewhere, and every time you look at it, you can feel better about yourself - knowing that no matter how frustrated or lonely or depressed you are - at least you don't look like her....Otay?....Big ego-boosting hug has been sent your way....

2:45 PM, January 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home